Monday, March 29, 2010

EXOSKELETONS AND LITTLE LURCHES


Utah spring, it seems, comes in fits and starts. But I've been enjoying the long days and the new angle of light in my apartment. And I recently broke out my favorite not-fit-for-winter shoes.


My favorite building on campus--although there are many buildings I have not visited--is the Earth Sciences building. The seismographs roll along, marking the earth's lurches (there were three tiny earthquakes in the southern suburbs last week! And three more another 50 miles south!). And my favorite local coffee shop has a stand in the building. There are golden fish embedded in the floor and swimming up the walls. Maps of canyons and rivers here. And these old prints of arthropods and crustaceans there.







And model crystals glowing in glass cases.




And these "tree limb casts" that were found in Elko County, Nevada.

No comments: