Sunday, September 14, 2008

FLOATING WORLD = SORROWFUL WORLD *



The days are getting shorter so quickly. In an effort to resist panic, Ross and I met Sloan and Jenny for an evening match of tennis--my first time playing doubles. I like being on the courts at night, with the lights blazing. It felt like we were floating on some enchanted tennis court, resting atop a cloud of vines, maybe.












Maybe if I am out at sunset every day, it will ease this seasonal transition.








*To my surprise, a google search for "Floating World," finds a strange array. First, some "adult industry" website. Oops. Not a good title for a blog post... Then I learned that the Japanese word "Ukiyo" is a homophone for "floating world," and "sorrowful world." The first refers to an urban lifestyle, and more specifically, a pleasure seeking lifestyle (urban and pleasure seeking are commonly partners?), and the second to the "earthly plane of death and rebirth," from which Buddhists seek escape (Wikipedia, of course).

No comments: