Thursday, October 23, 2008

HE SAID TO ME, YOU MUST NOT ASK FOR SO MUCH.





I've been assigning my students readings about this topic. I admit, they aren't particularly interested... I've found a way out of this cycle. It goes Work, Work, Work, Work. But it's been so beautiful lately. I'm able to sneak off for some eating and bicycling once in a while.


I am not a big apple eater, but during fall I can't resist.


TS is off in the wilds of Canada for work. Ross, Jerritt and I had to go for a bike ride without her. Jerritt and TS got new bikes! Jerritt's is rather tall.


We ferried to Vashon Island.



And did a lot less biking than planned because we had to stop for lunch at this amazing restaurant. I think it's my new favorite.











When we arrived, the whole dining room was full, so we had to eat out on the patio, which was fine because it was such a nice afternoon. There were blue cheese toasts, walnut-feta-white bean pasta, tomato-Parmesan risotto cakes, and carrots with onions in a balsamic reduction. It is probably a good thing that I must take a ferry to get to the Monkey Tree.










We were the last people there; by the time we paid up, the dining room was empty.


Once upon a time, someone left a little bike leaning against a tree--or in its branches, perhaps--and the bike and the tree fell in love and decided to spend the rest of their lives irrevocably bound. We stopped to visit them.


For some reason I was really impressed that the Islanders haven't made a bigger deal of this little attraction. There's no sign, no cotton candy stand--just an overgrown trail with a bit of cardboard for a bridge, and there it is: The Bike in a Tree.









We were the last ones off the ferry, too.

Ellie was waiting when we got back to Jerritt and TS's house. We did not bring TS with us--poor Ellie.



Every time I see the spinning ampersand, I think of Myles and Carey. Word on the street is that Myles is opening a shop on Alberta Street, in Portland! I can't wait to see it. (Congratulations!)






Despite all the pretty leaves, the ships in and out of the Sound, the apples ripe for picking, this is what's usually in my field of vision. Even here, I'm avoiding looking at that folder off to the left, which is full of papers that are awaiting my ink.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Hartsig said...

s, you should read "onions in the stew!" which is a very wonderful funny book about life on Vashon Island circa WW2. there is a nice bit with a washing machine drifting away in a skiff. what is TS doing in the icy north?

Bloom and Rot said...

Cool! I'll request that book from the library right this very minute. TS is back, but she was learning about learning and teaching. I sort of wish I were drifting away in a skiff right about now...