Monday, August 10, 2009

MY MIDWESTERN ROOTS

In June, my Grandma passed away. She was 86, had 12 children, 38 grandchildren, and 17 great grandchildren. I flew back to Illinois for the funeral. Although the occasion was sad, I was glad to see my (huge!) family. It has been many years since I last saw most of them, and my little cousins are now interesting adults, some of them with children of their own. My grandma's house was full of the objects of her full life, including the handmade family tree that my mom made years ago, and many, many photos of the family. My grandma always knew what everyone was up to. She always knew in which city I was living, or would soon move to, a challenge even for me. And she never forgot a birthday.

I think this family reunion happened in about 1985. My great grandma is in the middle. The family got even bigger after that...

Grandma and Grandpa Mac meant in India during WWII. Did I mention that my grandma was beautiful?


All 12! My mom is in the upper right corner. She is number 3.


All 12 plus 1 "adopted" kid...My mom is in the lower left corner this time.

My Aunt Mary from my dad's side drove up from the other side of Chicago. My older sister was on the phone, selling her house when this photo was taken. She just moved to Miami.

After the funeral, much of the family convened at my Aunt Sharon and Uncle Bob's house. They have a beautiful garden.






Bob finds all kinds of things on his walks.


My grandpa Mac caught "Big Joe" years and years ago. My grandma was never all that impressed, but Joe terrorized a generation of grandkids from his post on the wall.

I guess Dan has finally come to terms with his fear of Big Joe.

Bob took Michaela, Brigid, Brian and I out in the kayaks. Michaela and Brian even got a nature walk on an island where they saw an untouched deer skeleton. Brig and I opted out...we were warned of rampant poison ivy on the island.





Bob paddled his own canoe.

And Brian went for a swim from his kayak.







Marie, Brian's wife, and Molly, Michaela's mom, were waiting when we got back.

No comments: