Monday, October 11, 2010

IN PYRRHA

The day came when my travels took me to Pyrrha. As soon as I set foot there, everything I had imagined was forgotten; Pyrrha had become what is Pyrrha...This view, this light, this buzzing, this air in which a yellowish dust flies: obviously the name means this and could mean nothing but this.

...

My mind goes on containing a great number of cities I have never seen and will never see, names that bear with them a figure or a fragment or a glimmer of an imagined figure: Getullia, Odile, Euphrasia, Margara. The city high above the bay is also there still, with the square enclosing the well, but I can no longer call it by a name, nor remember how I could ever have given it a name that means something entirely different.

-Italo Calvino
Invisible Cities


No comments: