Wednesday, October 6, 2010

OCCASIONS FOR DIRIMENT*



Sadly, I still haven't hung many things on the walls, and some are still sitting exactly in this spot, where they were at the end of August. But it is fall break next week, and I am staying here, reading, writing, and hanging things on the walls.

It was so green then! Matt and I hiked up Grandeur Peak.






I used to love The Odyssey and now I love it more.

All around the neighborhood people piled their junk on the curbs for pickup. I had big gleaning plans, but most of it was truly junk. So Catie and I decided on some covert junk-pile art-making. She stenciled silver otters. I stenciled silver elephants.

Lauren had a birthday, so we ate sushi. For her birthday she got to kiss her beloved David. And I think he is blushing here, no?

And the studying began.



But we are easily distracted. These masks, or maybe just way this Esther-creature is standing, remind me of Ralph Eugene Meatyard and his dear, strange Lucybelle Crater.




*Dictionaries define "diriment" as a reason for annulling a marriage, but the art history website that came up when I googled Meatyard gave this more interesting, though apparently inaccurate definition (and it is this second meaning that I found exciting):

Diriment is a made-up word, a Lewis Carroll–like compound of "dire" and "merriment" that suggests a mood of high-spirited fun and hilarity fraught with anxious undertones.

Source: Ralph Eugene Meatyard: Occasion for Diriment (67.543.29) | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

No comments: