Sunday, May 18, 2008

SEA CARROTS AND OTHER DANGERS

Forever ago Ross and I took a ferry out to the Olympic Peninsula.








We shared the ferry with a bunch of junior high marching bands and drill teams and their buses. I guess there was a competition somewhere on the peninsula. I think this team probably did pretty well. They were the only team practicing on the ferry ride. The other kids were all busy eating popcorn and candy and drinking soda. Ross wondered how many kids would puke on their buses.


The Olympics! Getting closer!



Finally, we got to the other side of the peninsula. We picked a campsite and headed down to the beach to explore.

We were scared, but we kept going.















It was my mom's birthday so we made her a card.




For such a minimalist landscape, the beach is full of weird stuff.



These plants didn't even look organic, but they are. Those are sea carrots or something!








No, we did not build this shelter.






















I guess our campsite was out of cell phone range.



I find it surprising how close the forest is to the sea. These trees are probably only about 100yds. from the tide.










After dinner we went back down to the beach.

It was a little colder without the sun, but just as lovely.










And then back up to the campground to make s'mores.


The next morning was foggy, but by afternoon the day was bright and hot. Too bad we had to go home.


1 comment:

Relief Map said...

Driftwood's my favorite flotsam, but when I find a message in a bottle, it'll probably become my second favorite. Somehow it always looks creaturely to me, human almost.