Tuesday, August 19, 2008

PEACH, PLUM, PEAR

It was time for a peach-berry pie.


Last week I roasted some eggplant that were about to rot. When they were done, I turned the oven off and left them to cool, but then I forgot them. When I preheated the oven for the pie, they got a second roasting.


I was taking the large pie to the Helsing Junction Sleepover, so I made a personal sized pie for Ross. The pies were pretty tasty, but I guess it might be time for me to work on the aesthetics of my pies.


Lucy fell asleep while doing her stretches. I think she decided it was too hot to bake pies.



Helsing Junction is a CSA south of Olympia. Every summer they host a little K Records music festival. Last winter, the Chehalis flooded and destroyed many homes and farms in the valley, so this year's proceeds went to the farmers. We spent much of our time at the festival sitting under this willow. I'm not sure why, but I hardly took any pictures.






I went with TS.


And we met Sloan and Jenny and a few of Sloan's tennis friends there.









My favorite performances of the weekend were by Mirah, Pine Hill Haints, Explode Into Colors (!!), and Tender Forever, but I missed a lot of performances in order to swim in the river and pick blackberries.


Sloan and Jenny love their blanket-poncho-stadium seat.



There were some great bands there, but maybe my favorite part of the weekend was swimming in the Chehalis.




We slept in the orchard under a pear tree.






1 comment:

Elizabeth Hartsig said...

If you saw Pine Hill Haints, it's almost, almost as though you went to True/False this year and saw them with me. Oh washboard strummers.