Thursday, November 6, 2008

BENDING THE ARC OF HISTORY

"So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism; of service and responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves, but each other."

-President Elect! Barack Obama





I admit it: despite my excitement and nervousness, as I walked to my polling place, I did think, just for a second, that my vote was not extremely important. They'd call my state blue long before my vote had been counted. I didn't have to wait in line; there were plenty of polling locations in my neighborhood, and most people around here probably cast the same vote as me. But of course I wanted to fill in that bubble anyway, to add my voice, and then there were all those other bubbles to fill! The little bubble for light rail! To repair the Pike Place Market! To keep Gregoire around! So it was only for a moment.

After I voted, my concentration was shot. Ross and I walked over to Tougo, our neighborhood coffee shop, where they were projecting election results starting at 3 pm. The place filled up. We talked to strangers. There were a million babies there, all decked out for Obama. There was delicious ice cream and potato salad.

Then, down the street, to the bar, to meet TS and Jerritt, who made the trek on their bikes. We watched Ohio (TS' home state), and Colorado (Ross' and my home state), and Nevada--NEVADA!(Jerritt's home state) tally up their votes, and the map turned bluer.

So, we'll have a new president soon...but the world feels different already--more hopeful, more united.

and I'm ready to vote again next year!

2 comments:

Relief Map said...

The metaphor he used about the arc of history is stunning. Reading this made the whole thing feel immediate, tangible even.

Bloom and Rot said...

MLK once said, "The arc of history is long, but it bends towards justice."

I guess that is the source of that (yes, gorgeous) part of his speech. Knowing that makes it even more powerful I think--the arc extends even further.

Have you seen any of the footage from the Seattle street parties that followed the election! Holy moly! That was in our neighborhood, but we had walked in the other direction. People are pretty excited around here.