Monday, January 12, 2009

THE WINTER AVERAGE

Sloan and Jenny took me out for a birthday brunch at their favorite spot: Silence, Heart, Nest. The lighting there was strange and lovely--it did seem like silence, and like a nest --maybe just because it was painted a sky-like color, although not like a Seattle winter sky.

But there was some kind of slicing going on in the kitchen. Or perhaps they were building something. Or cutting through drywall. Or maybe they were amputating a leg...I don't think I'd have been as fixated on the noise if I hadn't been thinking of silent spring skies, but my omelet was delicious. (And the sawing didn't last long.)



Sloan once made a papier mache cat to keep their real cat company.


I have taken a lot of similar, poorly composed, dark photos lately. What am I getting at?


Many are taken from inside looking out. Maybe I'm not getting at anything in particular; I am just lazy.

One week ago I was standing in the kitchen, half hoping for a snow day.



I took this one from the library of my new campus. The campus feels a little like a ski lodge to me, with those sloping rooftops, and the evergreens. From the parking garage you can see yellow willows and a stream that looks frozen, even though it isn't. On windy days the administration sends out emails warning us not to go walking on the paths for fear that a tree could fall on us.

I liked this book so much that I dressed to match it. (Thanks, Caitlin.)

No comments: