Sunday, November 22, 2009

A PURE PRIMARY BROWN

Earlier this semester I read Wittgenstein's Remarks on Color for class. Such a strange text, really--musing about the nature of colors, hashing it out, round and round. For a couple of days I really looked at colors, considering whether they were translucent or opaque, and if they lined up with my assumptions. I mentally compared white walls with white clouds, blue skies with blue glass. I looked for "true" red, and agreed that it existed only in my mind. I took this photo as a sort of case-in-point response: blue is lighter than white (sometimes).

And pure white is elusive.

For the same class, I've continued to cut and paste and paint and stitch and type pages for a commonplace book in response to readings.





My apartment is a bit ramshackle, but I get a lot of light.

(As long as there is light to be gotten)









Esther's friends, Lauren and David, are part of a "Works of Paper" show at Sam Weller books that opened on Friday.







2 comments:

Relief Map said...

Though I don't know the exact date, I know you've got a birthday coming up, & I wanted to says cheers to another new year!

Do you know Mirana July's book No One Belongs Here More Than You? I think you might dig her work. Yes, I think you would.

Your photos are rectangular versions of sunlight, Shena.

Bloom and Rot said...

Thanks, E. I do know that book, and I did enjoy many of her stories. What else have you been reading? One of my latest favorites: Deb Olin Unferth's Vacation.