Friday, November 13, 2009

THE WILLY-NILLY SLAPDASH


There were a couple of rough weeks back there--most likely a preview of the next couple of weeks. But at the end of a round of deadlines, the sky is bluer. The sun more splendid. Even watery espresso tastes good.

Catie and I browsed the bookstore and came away with a tarot pack and The Philosophy of Andy Warhol. The gutters offered up their leaves.

This photo should have been included in the Halloween post. I was a blank canvas, but ended up a collaborative masterpiece. A few other people ended up as masterpieces, too.


There are two libraries in my life these days. Salt Lake Public Library is a real community hub, and not bad for studying either, as long as one avoids the back corner of the 3rd floor, which seems to be where a lot of transients hang out, and it gets rather noisy with rustling plastic bags and hacking coughs. I don't mean to be heartless here--I think it's impressive that the library here is a resource for everyone--transient, student, parent, child.


Will invited Nate and I over to help him brew some beer, which mostly involved drinking most of Will's stash of beer and occasionally stirring a big pot full of hops and such. It will be two months until the fruit of our labor is ready.



Will and Melanie live on 11th Ave, high above the city. A steady stream of bicyclists pedaled their way uphill. We watched the parade from Will's porch.

Last night V read some poems as part of the Working Dog Reading Series, alongside another poet and two (great!) fiction writers. The tiny bookstore space was overflowing. Not everyone could hear. Lucky for me, I was within spitting distance, so I heard every word, and every word was fantastic.

2 comments:

Ross Fuqua said...

Beer, sunshine, and writers. Wish I was there....

Bloom and Rot said...

Me too.