Friday, December 11, 2009

HEEDLESS OF THE WIND AND WEATHER


The English Department holiday party started off feeling something like a wedding reception--the kind when you really only know the bride, or only the groom, and not many of the other guests. I watched my professors from across the room, but avoided actually speaking with them. I wondered about all the unfamiliar faces. I slipped on my new shoes (but didn't quite fall). I filled my plate with tasty food. I got a second glass of wine. But actually, I knew a lot of people there, and soon conversations picked up.



Eventually, there was dancing...lots of awkward dancing. Only a few professors stuck around for this, and they seemed to be having an excellent time. I did not assess dancing styles or trends by discipline, but the medieval lit. professor was really getting down. Other professor-dancers included a genre bending fiction writer, a gender studies/queer theorist, and a Joyce scholar...

Why did I once think that Matt was shy?





Danielle has a fabulous laugh pretty much all the time, but dancing really taps into her wild side.


Tim showed off his classy coat.

But it seems he really wants one like Catie's.




Eventually, there was pool at Juniors. I mean, who's seriously going to go home and write those final papers after dancing? Dancing eliminates the possibility of writing final papers.




I think Catie was suspicious of Tim's geometry skills.








Matt and I named ourselves Team Nerd because we were up against some formidably stylish folks. But with a little luck, our nerdiness prevailed.




The next night was Working Dog, the creative writing program reading series, which is always a treat. Susan helps run the series.

And Catie read some poems.

No comments: