Sunday, December 20, 2009

YOU'RE SO GEOCENTRIC

So the sun is over the Tropic of Capricorn. A good time for walks, though you've got to watch your footing on the icy sidewalks.

The other night my dad printed out the length of day charts for Denver, Salt Lake, Seattle, Miami, South Bend, IN, and Minneapolis--the cities in which we now live. Minneapolis, where my uncle lives, spends the most time in the dark. My older sister is soaking up the sun down there in Miami.

And in the Beehive State, we've got particularly late mornings, but this means later evenings, too. My dad seems to think the solstice a bit of a trick, though. Mornings keep getting later for another week, even though we're gaining minutes on the sunset end.


And I am older, once again. In the final whirlwind of the semester (so quickly forgotten), Esther hosted a little gathering at her place in honor of my birthday. Catie baked cupcakes. V. entertained us with her up-to-date, politically correct sex-ed, Esther played the banjo, Jordan played the dombura, and I met two new friends. Esther's old pal Julia was visiting from San Franciso, and Catie's neighbor Elisha was there, too. This photo is of a leftover cupcake that I ate during a break from that darned paper, which I did eventually finish, by the way.

No comments: